Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Lavender

I started looking into herbs mostly because I suffer from headaches ranging from mild to severe and even migraines. Most pain killers brought me little to no relief. In going to the doctor about them they suggested medicine and did tests and scans and found no real reason for them. So I turned my thoughts elsewhere for help. First on the list of suggestions was Lavender.

I tried the suggestion of a few drops lavender essential oil in cool water soaked into a wash cloth then rung out and placed on the forehead. It worked nicely. My migraine wasn't fully gone but it was brought down to a reasonable level. Frankly 1 percocet would have had the same effect... So this lavender stuff must be pretty good!

So I started looking more into medicinal herbs and more into lavender in particular. I found that not only is it good at headaches and relaxing you (most people know that) it is also good as a bug repellant. Many insects will even stay away from a garden with lavender in it. Lavender rubbed on your skin protects you from mosquitos (which is great for those of us who hate the smell of bug spray and hate mosquitos). I also found that lavender oil rubbed into the scalp is good for killing lice and their eggs. One crazy thing I found out was that lavendar oil rubbed into the scalp can also help thinning hair.

Lavender is said to be a really good disinfectant. It has antiseptic and getmicidal properties. And one book recommended it to clean and treat wounds. It said that not only can it kill streptococcus bacillus but also typhoid & diptheria. I have been thinking I might add some lavender oil to my dishwashing and counter cleaning!
Burning lavender candles is one way to help eliminate stress and help to relax you. Also using lavender essential oil in bath water is a very nice way to relax and relief stress.

Some resourses site it has being helpful with nerves and can be used as a sedative.
Herbal waters can be added to laundry to bring scent and aromotherapy to your clothes and linens. Herbal waters can also be used when cleaning to disinfect and freshen the air as well.

Reciepes:
Lavender Herbal Water
1 cup lavender
2 cups boiling water
Place boiling water over lavender, steep, strain. Keep refrigerated if not used within 2 days.

Lavender oil
Handful of bruised flowers in a clean glass bottle containing 4 cups olive oil placed in the sun for a few days & then strain. If not strong enough repeat with
more flowers.

Lavender Bath Salt
Mix together:
2 cups baking soda
1/2 cup powdered lavender
1/2 cup sea salt
3 drops lavender essential oil
Mix & store in an airtight container for one week before using. Use 1/2 cup of mixture per bath (in a cheesecloth bag)

No comments:

Post a Comment